Saturday, March 14, 2009

DEFINITE SPRING ARRIVAL AT ESOPUS

There is no doubt! SPRING IS HERE AT ESOPUS. Out on what we stll call "Pells" (because it is the piece of property that we bought from Robert Livingston Pell later on in 1954) I heard a Long-Eared Owl (or more!!), an Eastern Tohwee, Song Sparrows, an Ovenbird.....(Well, I heard what I understood as its "Teacher, Teacher, Teacher!!) call, the usual crowd of Red-Winged Blackbirds, an Eastern Phoebe and a Carolina Wren) Well, let me be honest! (Because anyone who knows anything about us birders knows that an "unchaperoned birder" is capable of, if not "outright deceit", at the minimum...a bit of "exaggeration"). So, being honest, I have to say that what I "thought" was the Ovenbird's song might have ACTUALLY been a "variation" of the Carolina Wren's. And so I will put two links here: 1. Song of the Carolina Wren--http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/audio/Carolina_Wren.html and 2. The Ovenbird. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/audio/Ovenbird.html You, who I HOPE will respond will be the judges. So get out there and enjoy this early "March Spring" yourselves!!!

No comments: