Monday, May 18, 2009

TRIP TO AWOSTING FALLS AT MOHONK PRESERVE

On Sunday, May 17th I spent five hours walking from the Mohonk Preserve Visitors' Center, up the East Connector Path to the Trapps Trail. It was very steep. On the East Trapps which is the great rock climbing spot on the Preserve there were many, mostly young, rock climbers. I had a real good feeling about youth as I saw them enjoying the challenge that rock climbing is. (For me it is a "road not travelled". In "another lifetime...maybe!!) The day was wonderful. Streams of spring rain poured over one of the climing areas eliminating it for the day. Between two sections called "Bitchy Virgin" and "Awolding" the ascents have been discontinued because of Peregrin Falcon nesting. I could "hear" the falcons but it was hard to see. There were the fresh reddish color of recently fallen rock in those sections....and "added" reason for calling off climbing there. What a great spring day. I "heard" many Wood Thrushes, Red-Eyed Vireos ("Here I am...There Your Are")..But THEY could probably see ME. But I could not see...THEM.
Awosting Falls with the strong flowing river which is the Awosting River I presume and forms a lake below was powerfully falling. It was a true "thunderous" roar which I much enjoyed. I hope you enjoy some of my pictures.

No comments: